Monday 5 January 2015

2014 Beauty Favourites Round-Up


Goodbye to 2014 and hello to 2015!! 
Happy New Year!
I thought I would do a sort of round-up of my beauty and make-up favourites this past year.
If I round up every product I have used this past year we could be here for a while so I thought i'd pick the best of them, particularly the ones I would recommend in each category.

This year has been a busy one for me and full of some great beauty finds.


Lipstick
This year has been a good year for my lips! I have discovered bolder and brighter colours and am not quite so scared to wear them! 
Even if it is just around the house!


Top picks have been (L to R):
MAC's Show Orchid Lipstick: This is a blue-toned bright shocking pink shade. Great for making your teeth appear whiter. Mac's Show Orchid Review Here

MAC's Rebel Lipstick: This looks scarier in the bullet and on is a lovely deep plum berry shade. Mac Rebel

YSL Rouge Volupte silky lipstick in 'Red Muse'
A gorgeous creamy luxurious red shade that is sheer bliss to wear and smells heavenly too! (Can you tell I love the YSL lipsticks!!?) YSL #17 Review 

MAC's Girl about town lipstick: This was another new find for me this year, it is a lovely bright pink and guarantees you will be noticed! Mac's Girl About Town Review

Lip treatment: 
Nuxe rev de miel both stick and pot version, work really well for me on my dry chapped lips and to help prep the lips for my lipstick.


Eyes


Mascara:
I hate to say it but I used to be a bit of a mascara snob, tending to only use higher end brands such as Clinique's feathering and Bare minerals high definition but then i tried Maybelline's Rocket mascara  (waterproof version) and I feel it is so good that for me this is my current and has been for a while 'go to' mascara!

Eye-liner:
2014 saw That benefit eye-liner released. With a whole mixed review to follow. I loved it upon first few uses, found it very easy to use and I was also able to create a cat flick - first time ever it wasn't wonky!! However, not sure if it is because it may have dried up? but I have since  found the formula difficult to work with and have to say have switched to Soap and Glory's Super Cat Fat Liner. Which is basically a fat marker but is really easy at drawing flicks and best of all stays put.

The only two eye-liners for my waterline I have stuck to this past year have been, Urban Decay's Zero and Bare Minerals 'Around the Clock' in Midnight bare-minerals-around-clock-eyeliner review. 
Which I am sad to say is now discontinued, which has led me to be on the hunt for the next eye-liner. 

I am very fussy as I want it to be blacker than black but still stay put and not budge from my water line all day... I know, not asking much am I!! So any suggestions would be greatly received.

Have heard great things about Anastasia Beverly Hills 'covet' Eye-liners but unfortunately cult beauty are sold out. So leave any recommendations in the comments below.

Eyeshadows


My faves this year are my mac quad, consisting of Naked Lunch, All That Glitters, Wood-Winked and Satin Taupe. These 4 eye-shadows are forever in my make-up bag and find they all go really well together but equally gorgeous on their own. If you are looking to buy Mac eye-shadows and don't know where to start (the choice can be a bit over-whelming!) then I would say these are great ones to choose.
In depth review here my-ultimate-mac-eye-shadow-quad
The other eye-shadow I have got a lot of use out of is Mac's electric cool eye-shadow in super-watt. A kind of cream/mousse hybrid, It's really simple to use one swipe and you're done. Similar to Maybelline's colour tattoo in 'On and On Bronze'.

Face




Foundation

The majority of the time I stick to Bare Minerals Ready Foundation. Its quick and easy and covers what I need it to. However on those special occasions I have since discovered the new YSL fusion foundation and I love it! It is really light on barely feels on your face at all. I hate the feeling of heavy foundation on my face. It is a matte finish which for me is great as I have combination skin. YSL Fusion Ink Foundation Review

The other foundation launch I was so excited for was the bare minerals serum foundation. I don't know if I am just not putting it on right but can't seem to get the hang of it and it doesn't sit smoothly on my face, it goes patchy. Such a shame as I had high hopes!






Extra's
Mac's Soft and Gentle is a gorgeous highlighting blush, so pretty on! Mineralize Skin-Finish Natural in 'Light' is a lovely finishing powder helping to keep everything in place. 
This year I managed to get my hands on Ben Nye's Banana powder which is a great setting powder with a yellow tint, perfect for covering up any redness. If you want to know more my review is Mac Soft & Gentle Review
Maybelline's The Eraser Eye concealer has been great for covering up my under eye baggage! 

Most used brushes & tools:

Eyeko Eyelash Curler
These came free with a magazine a few months ago and are so good and easy to use! 

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, Blush brush and setting brush is great for concealer especially around the eyes. 
Most used eye brush has to be my mac 217, it has definitely been worth the price tag. It washes well and applies eye-shadow effortlessly. Mac 217 review

Last of all a
Honourable mention:
Limited edition releases...
Maleficent Red lipstick by Mac was a must have for me as the film was so good!

Urban Decay's Pulp Fiction Review here: Be cool hunny bunny!



So that's it from me my make-up favourites from 2014. Can't wait for what 2015 will bring!

Take time for you. Take care and look after yourself.
Thanks for popping by luv acesparklestar xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment